Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Songs Of Leonard Cohen

A good song, as a good book, is like an old friend on which you can always count. Many times I found comfort in Leonard Cohen's deep voice. As an italian music fan, who have always listened mostly to songs sung in English, I never paid much attention to the lyrics. Many times, when I tried to translate, I' ve felt disappointed; the magic of the music had partially vanished. There are some good exceptions, and Cohen is certainly one of these. It is worth to take a dictionary to explore his poetical universe full of symbols. His histories of love and regret became more effective when he decided to tell them with a guitar and some simple charming melodies, inspired mostly by french songwriters like Jacques Brel.
The Stranger Song is a particulary touching song to me, for some personal reasons, and I'm glad I found this video, just a few days after I received a request to post more Cohen's music, besides the first clip I ulpoaded here, in January. This live perfomance at a TV show in '67 (introduced by the american folk-singer Julie Felix) is very intense, you can see a little shiny tear falling from Cohen's eye at the end of the song.
Though the ideal context for this kind of music seems to be a closed and intimate room (as a title of one of his albums suggests), the canadian songwriter proves, on the second video, to be able to catch the attention of a very large audience, at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970, with his most popular classic.
I discovered that the Suzanne's clip that you can find in the old post is part of a canadian short movie, based on five Cohen's songs...I'm hunting for the other songs to offer the whole movie in the future.

Leonard Cohen - The Stranger Song (1967)
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne (live 1970)

Password: musicforyoureyes

Comments are always very apprecieted

See you next time

Mirco

5 Comments:

Blogger Wied said...

is there a way to get these videos? Rapidshare says I'm over my limit for d/l'ing...but the only thing I got was that King Crimson video. I'd love to get the Pentangle or Hawkwind or any of the other great videos you have posted. Any advice would be helpful.

thanks.

3/15/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

After you downloaded something from Rapidshare you have to wait one hour to download something more, if you're not a Premium user (you have to pay...) Go on the 'regnyouth archives' blog (the link is here), there are some pages with goood suggestions on how to use Raapidshare...

3/15/2006 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mirco.
Did you know all your links have beden leeched and dumped here?

http://beam.to/purgatory

I don't like the look of this

3/15/2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

Thanks for the info, it has already happened unfortunately. I saw the forum and left a message. Now the guy who posted my links says he wants to leave and asks the moderators to delete all of his posts...the poor dear!

Thanx once more

3/15/2006 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leonard Cohen rulez! (:

3/30/2006 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home