Monday, January 23, 2006

Monk Time

The Monks were certainly one of the rawest garage-punk bands of the sixties. Five texan soldiers living in Germany, they were crazy enough to shave their heads and dress like real monks.
They opened their perfomance at the Beat Club on '66 with a really noisy instrumental track: tribal beats, an heavy fuzz bass guitar riff, hysterical howls, people torturing the electric guitar...and the audience trying to dance at it! Then came the wild song Oh How To Do Now, with their typical use of the banjo as a percussive instrument, to obtain an even more obsessive sound.
Of course they failed to reach a big success, but became more famous for their outrageous look.
It's worth checking out their only album Black Monk Time, if you haven't done it yet. You'll be surely curious to hear it after seeing this video.

Added on january 24: as Kindly notified by Kurt, the title of the instrumental track is Monk Chant. Thank you!

Monks - Monk Chant/Oh How To Do Now (1966)

Password: musicforyoureyes

See you next time.

Mirco

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding shares! Thank you!

1/24/2006 5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen the first song listed as "Monk Chant"--perhaps this is the title?

1/24/2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger Mirco said...

It might be Kurt, in fact I called it "Instrumental" only because I didn't know the title...

:)

1/24/2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger The Baz said...

I almost posted this the other day but didn't due to my lack of knowledge about them! Unbelievable stuff for 1966 and a touch scary too! Fabulous stuff and great to see this being made available!
Keep up the good work Mirco!
Best Wishes,
BAZ

1/24/2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

Hi BAZ, I'm waiting for you to show us The Monks live at Beat Beat Beat, I'm sure you have that clip.
The Monks have also an official website with lots of informations...

All the best ;)

1/24/2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger The Baz said...

Oooh... indeed I do think I have one clip of them live on BeatBeatBeat! I will have a dig around and see if I can find it.
Stay tuned!
All The Best,
BAZ

1/24/2006 5:21 PM  
Blogger Chap said...

This is the COOLEST thing I hae seen in quite a while! I knew about the Monks--mainly because the old school punks raved about them--but the record only showed part of the story. These guys are amazing!

1/25/2006 2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great, great stuff!
thanks much (and if you have any more Monks it would be much appreciated).

1/25/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

I never thought The Monks had such a cult following...I haven't got any other clips, but I'll search...

1/25/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

This is great stuff; the Monks rock. I cannot wait to check this out-thanks again!

1/26/2006 12:51 AM  
Blogger simonmsmith said...

I've just been to Rapidshare - it says this file is only 243 bytes...that can't be right

1/26/2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

Yes, unzip that file and you'll find out...

1/27/2006 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The Monks in their glorious, raw, deranged prime! This is kinda like the Holy Grail for dedicated 60's punk-rock lovers. Grazie tanto!

1/27/2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger jb said...

Nice blog you got here. Thanks for the Monks and all of the other stuff that you have posted.

1/27/2006 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home