Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Incredible String Band In 1968

For this precious clip we all must thank Milan Zivancevic, a good friend from Serbia that sometimes posts comments here using the nick "123". He's been so kind to burn and send me a copy of a DVD with many rare videos by The Incredible String Band, including also parts of their performance at the Woodstock festival.
In 1968 the so-called hippy/underground (counter)culture was at the peak of its creativity, and so were Robin Williamson and Mike Heron, whose band has been one of the most creative and imaginative of that era. These two amazing songwriters and musicians were guests at the Julie Felix TV show in that year, to perform a couple of fascinating tunes. The Half Remarkable Question, written by Robin, is a quiet and meditative song; as Robin sings and plays the guitar, Mike shows his skill in playing the sitar. The song is from the double album Wee Tam And The Big Huge, whose two records are also available separately, as they had been originally published in the USA.
Painting Box, composed by Mike, is one of my favourite songs by them, taken from The 5.000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion, also considered by myself, and many others, as one their best albums. Julie Felix herself joins the duo on acoustic guitar and backing vocals, making this version truly delightful, a special gem for every fans.
For some reasons, ripping this clip has been quite difficult, please excuse me if in the last minute the audio is a little bit out of synch, I hope you'll enjoy it just the same. I'm waiting for your comments.


Incredible String Band - The Half Remarkable Question/Painting Box (1968)

Password: http://musicforyoureyes.blogspot.com/

See you next time

Mirco

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great vids! (hehehe)

sorry to hear you had trouble with the 2nd one, though...


Milan

10/13/2006 1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! and I just used up my rapidshare time on something far less special! Now I have to wait. Painting Box is my absolute favorite song by the ISB. Many thanks!

10/13/2006 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very very much for the ISB stuff! My friend Peter (who is a big fan, but without broadband) regularly bumps into Mike Heron in Peebles (Scottish Borders) and will be very pleased indeed when I send him CD. I tried downloading 'The Letter' from Woodstock, but got a mesage to say that that the file has been removed following complaints, but I managed to ge the second song no problem which is a little odd? Any ideas?

10/13/2006 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew - dunno what's the problem really, but if you check out the comments section for those ISB @ Woodstock vids, you'll notice that I uploaded the 3rd song, "This Moment". Not sure if the file's still there though, hadn't checked it in ages.

kind regards/Milan

10/13/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

In fact the video has been removed because of a long period of inactivity (more than 10 days with no one downloading it), like many others. I'm sorry but I haven't got the time and the patience to re-upload them all. Anyway, I hope you liked the ones that are still available.

10/13/2006 11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mirco is right - if the rapidshare file isn't downloaded in more than 10 days, it gets removed.

10/13/2006 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops, that above was me.

10/13/2006 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Mirco sempre ottima musica ed ottimi filmati,bravoe ciao

10/14/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Yeah, this is a real treat. Thanks, Mirco, for this nice glimpse into the band.

10/17/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Mirco said...

Hi Kurt, I always enjoy your comments because I know they come from a true connoiseur ;-)

10/17/2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

Sonagiri, send me an e-mail, the adress is on my profile. Please write in the subject the name of the blog, or something to make me understand it is not spam.
All the best.

10/24/2006 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

INCREDIBLE AND HALF REMARKABLE INDEED!
thanks a million for what i thought just a dream...watching the string band a their very very best in full colour!
BRILLIANT!

10/28/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger Mirco said...

I was sure I would have liked it ;-)

10/28/2006 1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear all

More ISB videos (including Woodstock full performance) has been assembled by the fans in the yahoogroups ISB list

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ISB/

including lots & lots of unreleased audio material - join us if you're interested

Paul

11/01/2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger Mirco said...

Thanks a lot for the info.

11/01/2006 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"More ISB videos (including Woodstock full performance)"


hmmm... more details about this one? 4 songs form their Woodstock gig are circulating that I know of and have...

11/05/2006 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just downloaded the zip file, but couldn't unzip it. http://musicforyoureyes.blogspot.com/ wasn't accepted as the password. has anyone else had trouble? thanks in advance!

12/06/2006 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home